View Single Post
Old February 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I'm a softy

yup very normal, and it seems you are doing well, a very thoughtful mom! just remember the saying this too shall pass!

If you keep up your training and exercise then soon everything will be fine, it takes time to learn and nothing happens right away, there will be mistakes and regression every once in a while! But at 9 months they are still needy puppies, you have to just keep on keeping on and soon they will grow into mature well behaved adults. I don't know anyone who has raised large breed puppies without ever asking what did I get myself into! and having at least something destroyed! My lab when she was young absolutely destroyed a door when we had to leave her alone, she ripped the entire door to wood shavings that she then spread everywhere! she chewed things and even had a few pees in the house, now she is the most mellow couch potato on earth and would never think about putting something in her mouth that is not hers.

Sometimes this puppyness can last right through the first year, or beyond.. The best thing to do is stick to a training schedule, incorporate training into everything, dont allow bad behavior even in play, like being too hyper, or rough. never allow the rules to be broken they will just add confusion, don't give food or attention for free, they must preform a behavior to receive them. Teach them quiet and settle so that you can make your dog have an off switch. As much exercise and stimulation you can provide will be beneficial, but let them know that after you have provided all their needs, they need to settle and be quiet.

2 large breed high energy puppies is a hand full! But all the work and persistence will pay off a hundred times more in the end. They just want what we have to give them, just our extra's, extra time, extra affection, ect... and in return they always give everything they have to give! Good luck I am sure you will be on your way to 2 well behaved life long friends! Take care!