Thread: To Whip or Not?
View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I've been lucky with my horses, they were all pretty respectful of people and other than the odd head butt because the carrots weren't coming fast enough, I've never been bit, kicked or purposely dumped. Got stepped on a couple of times but that was my fault and fell off a few times but again either my horse spooked and I wasn't sitting solid and you know horse goes one way and you go the other!! Once in awhile I'd carry a crop but rarely used it, I always found I'd drop it and then have to go hunting for it after.

Horses can be pretty scary critters and a mean one would be downright dangerous. Still you know that's not an excuse for a whipping. I've gone out to bring in horses and if you happen to be carrying the good stuff then a bunch of horses coming at a run towards you can be pretty intimidating! Takes a bit of resolve to stand your ground! I also learned that they can pretty much stop on a dime and won't purposely run into you. I'm with you Erykah on the whirlling around and kicking out, that's just plain disrespect. Don't mind if they're a ways away but when they do it when you're still standing there that's majorly dangerous. In some it's just high spirits and a yahoooo we're free but sometimes not and I'd be inclined to act the same way with a good crack across the butt. I would never, ever hit a horse anywhere around it's face. My niece's old horse was a huge boy, 17 hands and sometimes he would get pushy and try to crowd you, he'd get a smack to the chest and STOP IT! Then he'd behave, but it wasn't a whipping usually just a smack to make some noise.