View Single Post
Old December 27th, 2014, 05:25 PM

Feeding tube or let him go - E-tubes for cats

Hi guys

Back again with Tig and not eating again. I just read over some of my posts and it was less than a year ago that I went through the force feeding. This time he's still losing weight. The 9 pounds he was in July is now 8 pounds. I have been force feeding him for a couple of months with no improvement. I've done the blood work again and of course he comes up normal. We expected IBD and when he was on raw food he did well.

There have been some additions to the family. I'm fostering some kittens that were only supposed to be tempory and they were all sick with diarrhea, which took a couple of months to clear up, so I have not had time to make raw food so everyone is either back on canned or dry...ich.. I've also cooked turkey to help with digestion.

Back to Tig. He got picky with the food, lost the weight and then stopped eating..he'd eat a few mouthfuls and that's it. So back to syringe feeding, I can't seem to get enough in him and now he runs and hides from me. The last vet visitDec/23, he was under 8 pounds and vomiting. So he has a weeks reprieve with anti nausea and prednisolone. He's back to 8 pounds, no vomiting, but still does not want me to feed him.

So what to do? Feeding tube, as the stress of syringe feeding on both of us is becoming too much, or let him go by having him put to sleep. Aside from not eating, he's we think healthy.

I'm grasping at straws, I don't want to kill him because I can't get him to eat, but I don't want him to suffer if eating is causing pain? Sigh

Opinions, options and questions are welcome.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Trey our 3 legged terror - 2014