View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris35 View Post
....Not sure if I've done the right thing but Ive stopped giving her the steroids and the antibiotics.....havent even slowly cut down - just stopped giving them to her. ....
Kris....I'm going to be "blunt" with you here....to ensure you realize the seriousness of what you've done....and - with all respect for you as well:

NO, you haven't done the right thing by suddenly stopping the steroids....

IF a cat is to be taken off a steroid - it must be done gradually by slowly reducing the amount of the dosage until it is eventually eliminated:
Quote:
Prednisone and prednisolone are commonly used for several weeks or even months at a time to get a chronic process under control. It is important that the dose be tapered to an every other day schedule once the condition is controlled. The reason for this is that body perceives these hormones and does not produce any of its own. In time, the adrenal glands will atrophy so that when the medication is discontinued, the patient will be unable to respond to any stressful situation. A circulatory crisis can result. By using the medication every other day, this allows the body's own adrenal glands to remain active.

The Veterinary Information Network - VeterinaryPartner.com
I'd advise you to speak with your Vet ASAP, tell them what you've done and when, and get expert advice for how to reintroduce the steroid and - perhaps, with the Vet's advice - begin a 'weaning' process.

Don't delay!