View Single Post
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM
NOT a senior member

Feeding veg & fruit as treats...

My miniature pinscher loves raw fruits and vegetables and will pretty much eat whatever you give her. She does eat a good dry food (innova), one quarter cup a.m, and same p.m. Knowing how this breed can easily pack on the pounds, we are trying to retain her slim physique by just giving her the odd treat of vegetables and fruit, instead of doggy treats. She particularly loves apples, bananas, broccolli, and carrots, but will eat just about all.
My question is.... do I need to be concerned about feeding any type of fruit or veg? I can imagine that gas could be a problem with broccolli etc., but is there any significant adverse reactions with a particular fruit/veg.? I've heard bad things about grapes, and I stopped offering them. I also understand that moderation is key with anything, and she never gets more than a few bites of anything. Thanks for your input!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......