View Single Post
Old August 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamom View Post
Thanks for all the advice. My husband will be speaking to them again later and animal control/police. I will look into the idea of a spray. We do have firearms but I don't wish to carry one and it's restricted I can't carry it anyways. I'm a bad shot too, would rather take on the dog myself than try and fire a handgun near a baby. I like the idea of a spray. Yes, I would let my dog deal with it himself if I had to, he is a Shiba Inu so he is not a very helpless dog but still it hurts me.... they are both my babies. I can't avoid the house, it's right next door unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I don't normally use the stroller, I tend only to when my husband is with me. I use a sling (on my back, literally like a backpack) when alone. My boy is a toddler.
Good Luck. I hope the police intervene for you. The dog in my case, not the Berner, was also next door and weighed about 120 lbs, almost as much as my 130. And it was threatening me, not my dog. The Ontario Provincial Police put the fear of God into the owner but I still had to call the OPP twice. Chicken wire is too flimsy to keep 120 lbs of dog contained.

Yeah, we have guns too, including handguns, but I'd need a permit to carry. I think the OPP first thought the dog was coming into our yard but it was out on our village streets, not even our own street, where I was encountering it. Neighbours were shooting at this dog when it came in their yards, it did bite a 4 year old, but when the OH and I took a pellet gun out to practise with I couldn't even open the darn thing to load it.

Bear spray is illegal to carry you know. It is here in Ontario if you intend to use it on anything other than bears. We looked into that. The guy at the outfitting store wouldn't sell it to us. We didn't think regular pepper spray would be strong enough and if there is a wind you can get the drift yourself.

I will tell you a big mistake I made. I tried to talk to the owners of this dog. Three times. I can't belive how stupid I was not to call the police right away. I found idiots with huge dogs who let them run loose and threaten and bite the neighbours just don't respond to normal requests for safety. The second time I had to call the OPP I was armed with a list of names and phone numbers of all the other neighbours who had also had trouble with the same dog to back me up. None of them called the police either and some had pretty scary stories to tell. We are, most of us, here in this village, too nice and trusting for our own good.

Am I over-reacting? Maybe. I had recently seen what a dog attack did to a lady in my fitness class. And heard about the sister-in-law of a co-worker. And still I tried to talk to the owners. No, I don't think I'm over-reacting.