View Single Post
Old January 6th, 2011, 10:20 AM

tplo recovery, brina

please do not think brina's life is over as u know it, because that is far from the truth. my king took about 3-4 months to recover from each surgery, but remember, he was a big dog (german shepherd), and he was 10 years old. He also took longer to recover from the first surgery because his second leg was still injured and waiting for repair. He recovered quicker from the second surgery because the first leg was already fixed. After he had had both surgeries, and had finished recovering, I would say about 6 months after the second surgery, you would never even know he had had surgery. He was out for walk, going for car rides (although he did need help climbing into our van), and playing with our children. He was literally like a new dog!! But keep in mind, King was 10 years old, so he wouldn't be going for 2 mile walks even with good legs, lol. So, you just have to play it by ear, and see how brina is. every dog is going to be different. but i know, that king was like a new dog. we did physio exercises on him on our own that the vet taught us, simply because by the time we paid $6000.00 for his surgeries, we couldnt afford to pay for the physio, which was $500.00 per session. we took him for 2 sessions, just to learn how to do it, and one water treadmill session. all in all, he came out with flying colours, and it literaly bought him more 'time'. he was like a new dog!! it was worth the money. king passed away last month, bless his heart....but i am so thankful for the extra time we had with him...without tplo, i would have lost him 4 years ago... i wish u and brina the best of luck...feel free to ask me anything u think of. praying for u both.