View Single Post
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaMio View Post
I've heard that cats eat a ton when nursing.. It must be hard to get them back down to a "normal" food serving... I guess it's the case with any mammal. I just heard a presentation at work on seals (I know, OT) where the mother loses her body weight when nursing incredibly quickly, since she's transferring all the rich milk to her pup, and the pup just gorges itself and balloons. I find that kind of stuff interesting
I don't have any kitty experience with that myself, all my girls are fixed. We had Millie spayed this year (see past posts when I was freaking out and terrified) and when we adopted Layla she had already been spayed. She had obviously belonged to someone, since she was also declawed (I know, I would never declaw a cat, I didn't do it!!! Don't hate )
Sweet Pea was my first experience with a nursing momma cat and learned a lot from that experience. She is now a much happier kitty now that she is spayed. I don't think that she was happy one day while she had to nurse, she was exhausted.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey