View Single Post
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
If I was to pass away and I had a dog from a responsible breeder and had no family, would that dog go back to the breeder? I doubt it,the police would probably just take the dog to the pound. Also, if the dog is 10 years old, the breeder may also refuse it (has happened).

Secondly if I moved across the country and had to rehome my dog, would I ship it across back to the breeder, maybe, maybe not , who knows but it's out of the breeders hands unless she is in constant contact with ALL the families that he/she has adopted puppies to.
Isn't it time you thought about the irresponsible OWNER, L4H, instead of just the breeder? An irresponsible OWNER makes no provison for their dogs in the event of their own death.(My sister would take all of mine.) An irresponsible owner has to rehome because they were too lazy to look for accommodation interstate that could include their pet.(So, if what you found didn't have enough rooms for your children, do you try to rehome the kids? Same thing to the genuine dog or cat lover, they're our fur kids.) The irresponsible OWNER fails to keep in contact with the breeder. (I talk regularly with my friends who bred Cuddles and Perkins for instance, nearly 15 years old, responsible breeders who are still very interested in all their ups and downs and still consider my pair as part of their family too.) Irresponsible OWNERS rehome their dogs once they get too big/too boisterous/sick/ unsound/noisy or whatever , or they dump dogs, they don't go looking for their lost dogs, they put dogs in shelters. I never hear people here laying blame on irresponsible owners though.
Compulsory micro-chipping for all dogs and cats I think is essential. We are heading that way here. All my pups(since micro chipping was introduced) are chipped, and when the owner is agreeable I like them to put me down as the second contact with the Central Animal Registry in case they get lost.(and found. )
Shaykeija, thanks for including the second part of that article. This sentence is so true ...

It IS true that breeders should have to prove that they are consistently and deliberately producing sound bodies so the wonderful doggy minds inside them can have a structure that allows them to do their job with ease and without pain. .....

That is so important.