View Single Post
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:03 PM

They are going to give him a couple of enemas to help with the stool - they may also need to put him under if they need to manually go in there and get it out. In any case, it doesn't sound pleasant for my kitty :/

My biggest question is - what's so special about hydrolyzed protein. Is there going to be a benefit to this kind of food (my understanding is its specially treated to be more easily digested?) vs say a limited protein diet (like Natural Balance LID, Instinct Variety, ect).

I, too, take pause in the thought of only feeding dry food. Logically, one would think canned food is going to have an easier time passing through the system (don't have to be a vet for that one!)

Quote:
Some cats develop issues with a protein source after repeat and continuous exposure, so perhaps you need to rotate between a few different varieties to prevent that from happening. I would also stay away from fish, which tends to be high on the allergenic list.
This is 100% opposite of what the vet told us. She said we would have to be on this 'hydrolyzed protein' diet for at least 6 months, ideally forever. We could never stray from it, etc. I'm so confused.

The only thing that comes to mind actually is the fact we did recently switch to a fish based dry food - maybe this is what is causing the upheaval? We figured his problems were chicken based, but maybe fish isn't so great either now?

If the Natural Balance Duck and Pea canned food worked - would you recommend sticking with just that for a long period of time? He doesn't seem to tolerate chicken either :/

I'm not opposed to raw - it's just not the ideal choice for us right now.