View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Exclamation Consolidating litter boxes

Hi guys...
I'm new, and I had a rather interesting question for you...comes with a bit of a story!
I've had my cat, Mya, for quite a long time, though I've had to have her live with someone else once a couple of years ago. She's about two and a half, very small kitty (tabby), and has some problems, due to being inbred. She seems to have all her capacities, she's smart enough to know where to go to the bathroom and when the can of tuna is being opened, but she's a little...sassy.
Recently, we just adopted a new cat from the SPCA, his name is Moe. He's a huge main coon cross, about two years old, and very lively, compared to Mya. He seems to still be halfway between kittenhood and adulthood. 'Coons tend to mature at about five years of age, so I'm not very surprised.
Well, unfortunately there's been a bit of a rift in the household since he arrived...Mya won't tolerate him. I've given her lots of attention, and Moe's been getting enough attention from my husband, as he is his cat, technically.
I can deal with the growling, the little swats, and the refusal to really interact. They don't really fight, and even if they did, it wouldn't be hard to deal with...
But they won't share litter boxes!
I have three cats in the house, the third being out roommates' cat, Evil. She's Mya's mum. Evil will share a box with Moe, and with Mya. We even purchased a larger box so there would be less of an issue with it being dirty, though we are always trying to keep on top of it.
I would set up a different box for Mya, and I have out of necessity, but with such a small place, it starts to smell when they are on either end of the house. I'd like them to use one box, so that it wouldn't be so confusing and smelly!
So, if anyone has any suggestions, please, let me know! I'm totally at a loss!

And, sorry this was so very long!