View Single Post
Old April 16th, 2011, 04:24 AM

Please Help - Going out of my mind with a picky eater cat who is losing weight

I have a 7 year old cat who was diagnosed long ago with a sensitive stomach. She does not have IBS. No diarrhea, just certain foods don't make her feel very well...

Long story short, she had been on Eukaneuba/Iams Low Residue Vet food until the recall for Salmonella. When the recall happened, the vet took her off of it and substituted with Purina EN. She was on Purina EN for a month or so when they changed the formula. After feeding her one feeding of the "new" EN, she had violent vomiting - 10 times within an hour.

I rushed her to the vet, they did tests, and said she was fine. But I refused to feed her that food again.

Since then it has been a nightmare of trial and error. She has tried every food in the pet store, I think! So far we have tried Life's Abundance (she likes this, but I think it is too rich for her), California Natural, Innova Cat and Kitten (she liked the canned, but again, I think it may have been too rich), Halo (until I found out it has garlic in it - didn't like it anyway), Addiction, Fromm, Newman's Own, Honest Kitchen.

She has started to lose weight, which is freaking me out. She is now down to 9.8 pounds, and a good weight for her is 11.

In desperation, to try and get her to eat and get her weight stable, I bought some "junk food" cat food at the grocery store last night, but I think that also upsets her tummy.

I also bought some baby food which we fed our 18 year old when she had kidney disease, and Cailie won't touch it. Very picky.

Can anyone suggest a food to try for a sensitive stomach cat? I know that canned is supposed to be better for cats, but is canned too rich? (She seems to have upset tummy after eating canned).

I even tried some cooked natural food - very expensive, but cost is not an issue here, her health comes first. She wouldn't touch it.

To compound matters, we are going away Easter weekend for a couple of days, but worse we are going to Italy May 5 - 14th so we don't have alot of time to find something that works. I think all this switching of food also isn't helping the issue.

When we get back from Italy, I may be willing to try raw if this is something people think would help. Right now I just want to get a food that she will eat while we are away - preferably dry for the time being, then we will reintroduce canned.