View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi kirstybrady,

I'm so sorry you are going through this with your furbaby. Are the vets just assuming it's epilepsy? Have they completed any tests to rule out some of the common medical conditions? A 2 hour long seizure is not at all common, and would either be cluster seizures, or Status Epilepticus. In either case, it's very severe and definitely could be life threatening. It sounds like your pup has been through a lot. One thing I would really be concerned about is the reaction to the antibiotic. Some antibiotics have been known to cause seizures and meningoencephalitis in both dogs and people. Does your pup have an immune system disorder? Has he ever had a reaction to vaccines (or had a recent vaccination)? Do you use flea/tick treatments? These are all causes of seizures in some dogs. One thing you mentioned was that his nervous system was damaged from abuse. Have you had any tests done to confirm that? Or is it just assumed by the way he acts? Also, has your vet completed a bile acid test to rule out a liver shunt or test for hypothyroidism? Both of those can cause seizures as well.

This is a copy of a web page I have bookmarked (I have a puppy, a little over a yr old now) who has an immune-mediated disease, most likely brought on by vaccines-or at the very least-severely aggravated by them. He as grand mal seizures, had meningoencephalitis and several other issues.

Meningitis is most often caused by an infection, (viral, bacterial or even fungal), but some drugs can also produce symptoms. These include:
Antibiotics--ciprofloxacin/Trimethoprim sulfamethoxazole/ amoxicillin/metronidazole/penicillin/cephaleixn
Immune system--OKT-3 monoclonal antibody/immunogobulin/azathioprine
Anti-convulsive--carbamazepine
NSAID--ibuprofen/tolmentin/sulindac/naproxen
Antituberculous--isoniazid
Intrathecal (drugs injected into the spine)--methotrexate/cystine arabinoside
Uricosuric (drugs that eliminate excess uric acid)--allopurinol
Vaccines--hepatitis B/mumps
Anti-heartburn/GERD--ranitidine

Read more: About Drugs That Cause Meningitis Symptoms | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4569851_dr...#ixzz1K5leuCWK

Just a few things to maybe discuss with your vet. Good luck to you both
And please let us know how he's doing!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012