View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitona View Post
LOL I wish I had a nickel for everytime someone's told me that their husky cross or poorly bred malamute was a wolf. My first reaction is ''I hope for your sake you were lied to by the ''breeder.'' Heck, so many people that have them can't even deal with huskies/malamutes/Northern dogs because of their extreme work ethic. When their dogs run away, they take it personally and think their dogs are running away from them not realizing their dogs just NEED to RUN. When asked for advise in dealing with this I tell them to harness the dog, train it to run constructively and go with them.Sorry for the rant, but this is a subject near and dear to my heart. One of my favorite rescues is the Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary. The person who runs this place really knows her stuff and does it right.
So true. I hope those folks took your good advice. Neighbours across the street bought their young adult but still living at home daughters sibling Siberian puppies. Double whammy there, with siblings AND the breed. Very pretty but out of control bitches, the dogs. They were both in an obedience class with me and our highly trained rescue dog so I got to observe them. Several other neighbours lost small animals like cats and ducks when the Sibs got loose. Then the older son came home, rather co-incidentally with an interest in dog sledding, got those two bitches working in harness with other dogs and the change in them was remarkable. They calmed right down, became obedient and nice and lovely dogs. That breed NEEDs to run and work.

Going to check that sanctuary out on-line.