View Single Post
Old January 26th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Koteburo I just wanted to praise you for sticking with Ragner. In my opinion based on his age and length of time with you and your new to the doggy world or shall I say to the world of puppy dominance. It sounds exactly like that to me anyway. My late boy Winston was a handful. Extremely smart but he knew how to dominate me. We did 3 consecutive rounds of obedience training for approx 10 weeks each. I had to constantly stand my guard and show him I was the pack leader. I was taught to sort of growl with unwanted behaviour. It catches them off guard when you do it and their mind then becomes focused on you. I also was told by a trainer to hold him down each day until he learned to submit to it. It may sound cruel but he would wiggle and try to get out of my hold but finally realized I was the boss.

Ragner should be earning everything he gets right now. No extra treats no special babying just calm and assertive behaviour. Make him earn his rewards.

Ideally if you had a crate for Ragner so he doesnt feel so isolated it will likely help with his attitude.

I cant recall if you mentioned whether he was neutered or not. Sometimes this helps with those crazy hormones he has running through his body.

Dont give up, you can do it and OMG dogs are nothing like cats so getting ready for some fun!!

Good Luck and keep coming here for anything you need..
It really cheered me up to see that there have been people like you that had a handful of a pup and was able to overcome those difficulties even if it takes extra work.
I don't think Ragnar is a lost cause at all. I need a lot of consistency and to be tougher, more of a strict teacher kind of figure.
I'm so used to be a total softy to my cats
I feel way more optimistic today, more hopeful. The trainer says we gotta work in my self confidence and my image again. I have to recover it and we're working on it and by the way I feel it's improving. I still have my doubts about my abilities however it's no magic I'll get there as well.
Thank you so much Winston it was very encouraging. I have to bring back a better behaved Ragnar to Calgary to our 2 cuties Scully and Mulder (and that's going to be a whole process of introduction that takes a whole thread again but I'll take care of that when the moment's closer) and a friend and protector to my little one and a buddy to my husband. (Remember that I'm in Mexico at the moment and there are so many dogs in so much need that the least I can do is take one and make it work)
Today he's doing better. He's showing less bitting, more of a nibbling behavior. He still jumps on peeps but as long as we keep moving forward it's fine.
I also talked to my dad not to do that anymore because it's also disruptive in the hierarchy process, it interferes with it among other things.
Well I'm way happier about this today no more feelings like in my first post of this thread