View Single Post
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:24 AM

Teeth Cleaning in Dogs

Hey Forum Community!

I have some questions about dog teeth cleaning :

1. Any current estimates on accurate prices in Ontario for vet visit under anesthesia? (sans extractions... as far as I know)
2. Will this make a major difference in my dog's health/longevity?
3. What is a reasonable and useful teeth-cleaning practice for dog owners? (vet-visits, only? regular cleaning at home?)

I can see there hase been some discussion on teeth cleaning here before. I'm looking for an up to date discussion/input on this.

I have 2 medium-sized dogs. Our beagle mix is roughly 8(?) and I'm sure she should have her teeth professionally cleaned.They are terribly dirty and her breath is terrible (she's a 'senior' rescue). I'm wondering the current cost of this and whether or not it will help her live a longer and more enjoyable life (or has she gone too long without dental care and a cleaning won't really help)?

The other one is a 3yr old lab mix (also adopted), with what appear to be white and healthy teeth.

I have an enzymatic (poultry flavoured!) toothpaste that they both love, but a) I don't think it makes a difference for the senior girl's teeth, and b) even though I brush it on, I feel like they just like eating/licking it and how is it supposed to really keep their teeth clean.

Constructive input appreciated!