View Single Post
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:17 AM
junior but opinionated

let me restate my thinking on this poll. I'm not pretending to be looking for a cure for cancer. I used cancer because that's the illness I've dealt with the most in my pets, I don't remember having any other illnesses. I'm mostly looking for what's the best/worst of what we're currently feeding them. It might be better to state it more generally: have you been feeding raw or kibble and has your pet gotten sick? I think most, maybe all diseases are a result of immune system failure to one degree or another. Sure there are plenty of other factors but immune system is definitely a big one. In a dream world the immune system will deal with whatever is thrown at it. If what we're feeding is having an effect on the immune system, it's also likely going to have an effect on the rate of disease/illness. I've read here (and I'm starting to observe in my girl) that raw-fed pets thrive, have better quality of life. I think that healthy appearance is directly related to immunity so also to the probability of getting sick/cancer (indirectly related to illness if you want to get technical). And it would be nice if we could actually see some numbers to support our feeling that raw is better.

Someone suggested that this isn't a good poll because there's not a good cross section of people voting. It's hard for me to imagine finding a better cross section. Literally anyone in the world with access to a computer can vote in this poll. It's certainly not doing any harm to vote. I doubt that Purina is going to go out of business if kibble shows badly in the polls, they'll just buy up the green tripe market. Given that there are a lot fewer raw feeders than kibble feeders it will be hard to get enough data on feeding raw, but I guess this is the best place to try. Once again my long-winded