View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
It could have come across that way if we did not know one another. As I train so many dogs, I keep driving home the importance of walking a dog as it teaches them so much including curbing behaviour, socialization, exercise both mentally and physically and also teaches them more about appropriate behaviour..not to mention how to walk properly on leash (not those darn extended leads). The interaction between handler and dog is crutial and it actually builds an incredible bond between human and dog. Having 5 dogs now, we do take them together, but we also have our one on ones to teach the individual dog and also use this time to reconnect.
You can do all that showing your dogs too, BenMax. Dogs that misbehave there are reported. I had one woman stand in the way, dog on a long lead, letting it lunge at other dogs, so the second time it did it to my big red dog I just told her, "Let it do it again and you'll be reported". Didn't see her after that. That is called getting the message accross.
I like your attitude when out walking dogs . You aren't out there to entertain the public with your dogs. I know I certainly am not either. I would actually not want to give the impression that my breeds are approachable for fear people , or children, ran up to the wrong sheltie or cattle dog. Shelties bolt. I can recall a friend's sheltie escaping out of a car on a busy road and the fright in her voice when we tried to catch it . She said leave it, then opened the car door and it did a lap of the car and dived in. I know now, with my own, just a stranger calling to them can spook them. As for cattle dogs, the opposite of course, so making myself seem unapproachable when out with them works for me too.