View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Cat is losing weight

My cat is 9 years old and in the past few months she has lost weight. She had also been vomiting hairballs a lot, so I took her to the vet. The vet did some blood tests to check her kidneys, thyroid, check for diabetes, etc and everything came back negative. She gave me some pills to give her to help settle her stomach and also laxatone to give her for the hairballs. I went through all the pills and have continued to give her the laxatone, and she hasn't vomited any hairballs but a few times she has vomited a little bit of food. I had been feeding her all dry food w/hairball treatment, but decided to start giving her pouch food that I hoped would help her gain weight. I've noticed since I've been giving her the pouch food that she doesn't eat the dry food as much, so I've just been giving her 2-3 pouches a day, which she shares with another cat of mine. So she's been eating a lot and drinking water, I can't understand why she keeps losing weight. She looks so skinny and it hurts me to see her like this. She was originally 8.7 pounds last year when she went to the vet and this time at the vet she weighed 7.4, and today I weighed her and she weighs just over 6 pounds. I'm worried that something's wrong and the vet can't find it and I don't know what to do.