View Single Post
Old September 28th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Calling All Itty Dog Owners :D

Ok, so it's for sure I am getting my two dogs Mac is a purebred CKC registered Chihuahua. He's black and only about 5lbs. Hala is a mix, I think Chihuahua and something (she has terrier hair), about 8lbs. I met Hala 4 months ago when picking up Sadie for my Mom. Hala was born Christmas Day '08, was bottle raised and has a hare lip. She's adorable. I haven't seen Mac yet, but we'll be getting them both soon. He is 1 1/2 years and she is almost 1 (so still puppies).

Now, it has litterally been years since I've have a itty bitty dog. My only small dog was Sophie, a Chihuahua, 15 years old (we had her 2 years). That was more than 10 years ago. She was quite old and wasn't very active in the least. Gary's dog, Tico, was a senior also when I moved in, and he was not a playful boy by then, lol.

So, my questions are: what will I need for them? I have small dog harnesses x2, someone is mailing me 2 Service Dog in Training vests, I have pee pads, newspapers and a low cat pan and spot for it, I have a kennel and blankets. I will need to get leashes (I may end up making my own for them, since they will be walked together). A friend is sending me a clicker, and I have about 35 dog training books (from puppies to older dogs, tricks and other behaviors that a SD should know). I will get their food from the rescue, and will then decide on what to feed them (how often? Would free feeding a specific amount each be ok?). I have meat in the freezer to get them onto raw once they have settled in here.

For toys, I know they like stuffed animals (which I have tons of here). What else would be good for them? We have lots of cat toys (large balls with bells in them, laser light, etc).

Treats for training - what do you recommend? Also, does anyone have any links to patterns for making dog clothes (I can adapt to make winter stuff for them, warmer vests, etc)?

Anything else I should know? I will be sticking with the vet I've had the most experience with, and has been an invaluable (I hope that is the word?) asset to us

Ok, thanks so much! I am very excited! And yes, I will post billions of photos once I have them!!