View Single Post
Old August 4th, 2008, 01:47 PM

What is the next stage for toilet training my cat(s)?

Hello! This is my first post on this forum. It has been an excellent resource so far and I expect to be coming back again for future research.

Our family has adopted two kitties. The mommy kitty a stray who we named Juno (after the film character) when we discovered she came with a litter of 7 kittens. We adopted out all of the litter except for one kitten Max, a tabby cat, born this May.

We would like to have both of them trained to use the toilet.

At this point they are no longer using the litter box and are instead using a stainless steel bowl that we fit in the basin and filled with litter. They are comfortable using the basin. Yet I am not convinced that they have actually learned to use the toilet.

While they love walking around the toilet seat they still step into the bowl to do their business and then cover it up with litter.

Question: How do we transition them to pooping from the seat versus in the bowl so that we can remove the bowl altogether?

I have a bathroom in my room upstairs but they still walk all the way downstairs and across the house to use the litter bowl in the other toilet.

They are smart cats, I have already trained them to respond to a bell for treats.