View Single Post
Old February 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Thanks Spirit! The issue is I dont know if it really is the meat? As I said before I did try him on just chicken, then just beef etc but the rash was always there! So on the advise of the vert I have been feeding him what they prescribe?? (I guess what I have learned out of all of this is the the vets have no clue about the food they prescribe!) I have tried him on vegetarian food and he had diarrea but that could be from the change in food?? Oh well I guess I will just have to keep him on this food until I can figure this out???

Cindy
In situations like this, you don't really have a choice but to find a food that works and stick with it. Even if it means putting him on a horrible safeway brand food.

I would suggest first that you eliminate EVERYTHING (no treats, no table scraps, etc) but his kibble. Switch him to a food he was already on and doing "not too badly" on, and after a week with NO extras, see if anything's changed. Otherwise, switch him (slowly) to a simple food like Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice, and stick with it for a while. Switching foods is hard on your dogs stomach, so you want to do this as little as absolutely possitble.

Stay away from chicken (if chicken isn't a main ingredient, chicken fat is, so read your labels carefully), and find something simple. The reason I like products like "duck and potato", is that there is nothing else in it. It's DUCK, POTATO, and added vitamins and minerals. There's no fruit or veggies... one protein, one grain.

Another food like Evo could benefit if grains are the allergy trigger (Evo is grain free), but again, you're looking at more than one protien source as well as fruit and veggies.

We have a few dogs that come into my work with skin problems, and these poor owners have spent THOUSANDS of dollars on tests and various remedies, as well as switching their foods, allergy tests, etc... One dog that comes to our work on a weekly basis is a little white, uuuhhh... malti-poo, I think she is... but I digress. The damn dog is allergic to human dander!! Over $8,000 of tests later, one shot a month is all it takes to stop the rashes and hot spots.

It could be just about anything, so don't assume right off the bat that it's the food. Monitor your dog caefully and see if you can pinpoint when it gets worse. It could even be that he's allergic to your perfume.