View Single Post
Old June 22nd, 2011, 01:43 PM

Homemade Sweet Potato Treats for Dogs

You get a large sweet potato, wash and dry it and then cut them in fries.....about 1/2 inch or so.. the longer the more they like them ..but not too thin, because they shrivel. Make sure they are about 1/2 inch or wider! In my first try I made them thin like McDonald's fries and they ended up being as thin as a piece of sewing thread. Leave skin on, but cut out all impurities and scrub and dry well! Turn your oven on 160 to 180 degrees. Put the potatoes on a large pizza sheet and leave in oven for about three hours....give or take a few. Turn and move them around every hour to let the air get at them. The fries will harden more as they cool, so you might want to takeone out occasionally and let it cool on the counter and check the density.Take Fries out, let cool! The dogs and their teeth love them and they are healthy too. And in the winter they make the house smell great and keep the house warm.I start them at 6.00 in the morning and by 8.30-9.00 they are done.I do this once a week and have healthy and consistent treats.Keep them in a glass mason jar on the counter for easy access!! A pure and simple treat and also great for dogs with allergies, who can not have other treats.

This is a copy paste from another blog for pets, but I tried something similar to this. I put them on a rack in a 225 oven for about 2-2 1/2 hours. They must be completely dry or keep in the fridge afterward. I would imagine the same effect could be garnered by getting metal screening and putting the potato between two elevated screen sheets for a day in the sun. Since it is not for human consumption I doubt you would need to buy a dehydrator. When I made mine, some were completely dry and others were not. I removed the ones that were dry and put them in a separate baggie from the ones that were still flexible. The flexible ones I kept in the fridge and used those up first. The drier ones I put in the baggie and put in the storage for a later use. You can give them about 3-4 fries a day. Sweet potatoes are a great way to keep your dog regular. If your dog has diarrhea they will also help firm it up.