View Single Post
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM

Prior Neglected Puppy too Submissive?

I just adopted my second puppy. I originally wasn't going to get another puppy because I just moved, but after seeing the condition in which she was in I couldn't leave her.

She is a 15 week pure bred Australian shepherd . She is 17 pounds already! My friend was going to get a dog so I had went with her to a breeders house. She didn't find a puppy but when I peeked into the crate I saw her huddled into the back corner. Her fur was matted down with urine, she had fleas, and what broke my heart was that she had 1/4" bite marks (huge bloody scabs) around her neck from her siblings.

When I reached down to pick her up she snuggled against me... When I set her down she automatically rolled over onto her back.

Although this is extremely cute and I love how cuddly and loving she is. I am concerned. The puppy I have already is really kind hearted as well so he isn't picking on her/biting her roughly. She will even chase and play with him. I think he is even protective over her.

I'm concerned because the minute I bend down she automatically lays down. I can literally slide her on my wood floor. She wont walk or anything. I have to pick her up to move her anywhere If I have already pet her or if I'm kneeling like I'm about too.

Should I be worried? I already took her to the vet because she was going so limp I originally thought something was wrong with her. (she has a complete clean bill of health).

Is there a way I can help her to her feet(quite literally)?

Also... How big does a puppy that is already 17 pounds at 15 weeks usually get?