View Single Post
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Look at it this way: he's a baby, you're his mother, babies generally hang with their mothers (or their littermates). You're also his principal source of entertainment. So play with him! Get him some kitty balls - there are tons of different kinds, but I find the metallic crinkly kind are highly prized - or just paper balls are fine, a bit of string with a bell or a few feathers tied to one end (make sure he doesn't swallow anything), those big plastic coils are great, and so on. Notice what interests him and make a game of it. Tire him out! Then he will fall asleep and give you some peace .

Kittens must play, like children and all semi-conscious animals. Many important life lessons are learned very early on, such as not to bite. Every time he nips you - I'm not talking about mouthing, which is more gentle, and normal - take away your hands immediately, firmly say NO but not loud enough or close enough to scare him, give him a short time out. Do you let him sleep on your bed? You must (unless you are deathly allergic).

When you are away, put him in one room with his stuff (litterbox, toys, bed or crate) and make sure there's nothing in the room that could be a threat to him, such as electrical cords, stuff he could swallow, etc. Put away anything he could break. Leave a radio on low for company. He'll probably sleep most of the time (and be doubly energetic when you return ).

He does sound very young, all the more reason to interact with him as much as possible. If you do, he will grow up to be the companion you want, who trusts you enough to let you in on a few cat secrets.

My only question would be: How can you resist? If it is easy to ignore him, by shutting him up or leaving him at home alone for hours and hours, maybe you would be happier with a mature cat who is used to that kind of life.

Last edited by badger; July 12th, 2008 at 10:17 AM.