Thread: Oh dear...
View Single Post
Old December 22nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
In Ottawa, we have a pet food co-op. You pay a $15 annual membership and then your food costs are reduced. The reason I was asking about the bag size is that at our co-op the 13.5kg bag is $57. It is the largest bag they sell and seems to be quite a different price from some of the others quoted.

Price seems quite different around different regions. Does this sound different from what you pay?
Sorry I was mistaken, the size of my bags are 13.5 kg, which is now 65.99 per bag. So it is much different than what your region is paying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcha View Post
I am wondering - we feed raw and occasional Orijen (a few meals per week). The combination works very well together since Orijen is so much more appropriate than other kibble. Would it be an option for you to offset the price change by giving your dogs a raw meal here and there? If you're at the store and you find a really good deal on raw? If you save yourself a meal of Orijen per week per dog, and replace it with a cheaply purchased raw meal? On raw, we have a 'fasting' day - a day where there's a bone with meat to chew on. Or a pork chop, sardines, half a chicken? After Christmas turkey will be extremely on sale - perhaps a good time to get turkey deals and replace one meal a week for each dog with raw?
I've done some research into raw feeding, unfortunately, because I have a son with a suppressed immune system it is not an option for us, since they love to give him kisses all over his face. Too be honest it would be a lot of work trying to keep it as sanitary for my son as possible. Not that it wouldn't be worth the effort, but with our busy schedules we just aren't sure we should take the risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I don't know how many stores in your area carry Orijen but here, I've noticed the price difference can be as high as 10-14$ per bag depending on the store.

I'm extremely fortunate that one place donates opened and damaged bags to us. If they don't have any, they offer a 15% discount because they know I feed it to our fosters. It's not only a very kind gesture but it makes good business sense as well as I'll refer others to the store. They do have the least expensive prices. Do you think it's something you can ask at the store where you shop, LMPG? Especially if you'll be fostering....chances are new adoptive families will continue feeding Orijen and they'll be return customers .
That's a great idea LP, I'm going to talk to my friend about it after the holidays, I already send a lot of ppl to her store, this way I can send even more. It could be a win win situation!
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)