View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think SCM is on the right path. It is very difficult to get a cat who has been fed commercial food to start eating a raw diet. Slow introduction of a meat source that your cat favors may do the trick. I started out with a pin head amount of raw on a piece of kibble for my Jasper and slowly increased the raw to 50-50, then a piece of kibble on top of a spoonful of raw. His digestive tract was getting worse with age and we had to do something to take him off the kibble. He now eats quality canned (no grains)/raw and is digestive system is now OK. When it does occasionally act up we do give him slippery elm bark and it seems to clear him up within a day.

Any grains/carbs are not meant to be part of a cat's diet as their intestinal tract is too short and there isn't the appropriate digestive juices to break down the molecules before it reaches the large colon. Those molecules can then irritate the colon wall causing it to spasm/inflame which in turn can cause the diarrhea.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey