View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Here are some tips for transitioning to wet food: http://www.catinfo.org/#Transitionin...o_Canned_Food_

It took me almost a year to get my cat completely over to wet, no dry whatsoever, but it was complicated by his diabetes. If I can do it, anyone can!! The best tip I can give you is to start meal-feeding if you're free-feeding right now. A cat that is nibbling on dry food all day is not going to be hungry enough when you do offer some canned. In my case, I found that crushing kibble into a powder and sprinkling it on top of the canned at least helps a cat to recognize wet food as food. You can also get other "flavour enhancers" like freeze-dried chicken or liver that can be used to top-dress the food. Persistence is key. Too many times people offer their cat canned food once, it turns up it's nose, and from then on they say their cat won't touch it. My argument is that it's too important for a cat's health not to try harder! So good luck to you. Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler