Thread: Tricky cat
View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
I'm currently trying to wean my 3 year old egyptian mau off of kibble, on to wet food, and eventually to raw all together.

An Egyptian Mau, you say?? I :heart: Egyptian Maus.

Quote:
When I feed him wet cat food, =( he just licks the gravy off!.
What flavours of FF are you feeding him? If it's a chunks or slices in gravy style, perhaps he'd prefer more of a pate? My cat won't go near anything with chunks, he's a pate man all the way. Some flavours that fit the bill are Tender Liver & Chicken Feast, Tender Beef Feast, Turkey & Giblets Feast, Beef & Liver Feast, and some fishy ones that I can't remember cause I don't feed them (too much fish isn't a good idea).

Maybe you could also try some other brands of canned food, like Wellness or Precise or By Nature Organics. It could be that he's just bored with what's on the menu (happens more easily with wet than dry, which is heavy on the flavour enhancers and addictive carbs).

Quote:
I've tried mixing the wet cat food with the gravy, sprinkling kibble crumbs over the food, and the most I get is a little lick to see what it is, and a unimpressed look.
I've found he'll at least eat 1/4 of the can when I spoon feed him.
Have you tried picking up all kibble during the day so he can't snack on it and therefore ruin his appetite? Some cats need to get good and hungry. You could leave down the canned food instead so that if he was inclined to have a snack, that would be his only option. It's perfectly fine to leave wet food out for several hours (like even up to 12, depending on how hot it is).

Other tricks of the trade are top-dressing the canned with some pulverized freeze-dried meat treats like Halo Liv-a-Littles or Real Food Toppers or bonito flakes.

Quote:
I was also wondering, when you switch a cat to raw all together do you need to worry more about their hydration?
Nope, both canned and raw usually satisfy most of a cat's moisture requirements. You could always add a little extra water if you want to make sure. I can count on one hand the number of times my cat has actually had a drink out of his bowl in the last 3 years.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler