View Single Post
Old September 14th, 2018, 08:34 PM

Question & More Information

Hi Reg,

Thank you so much for your very informative post! I have a few questions….

The Rabies Vaccine in Ontario, is there a difference in the formulation between the 1 year and 3 year vaccine? I would assume that the 3 year one must provide longer protection than the 1 year correct? If not, why would pharmaceuticals companies make a 1 year vaccine if it protects for 3 years? Also, why would veterinarians not suggest the 3 year?

I am certain that if I call my vet clinic, they will tell me that I need to use the 1 year on an annual basis. I believe that they are coming out with a new protocol for the Rabies Vaccine in November, however, I have to take my cat in to the vet at the end of September for her geriatric blood panel and if they make me, the rabies vaccine.

I have been fear mongered at this clinic several times. Once when I asked the vet if I could have my cat’s prescription filled at a Shopper’s Drug Mart close to where I live instead of through their clinic, the vet said I could however, he cautioned me on doing this as he had a dog patient that was given the wrong medication by a drug mart pharmacy and the dog died.

Another time when I had taken my cat in for her first annual blood work the year after she developed her condition, they waited until she was sedated and called me to say they wanted my permission to give her the rabies vaccine but that I had to tell them on the spot because they only had a limited amount of time to inject her. I agreed because I felt pressured and from then on she was given the vaccine.

In addition, she has come out of the clinic with a bump on her nose one time and 2 front claws bleeding another time because they said they had a hard time getting her back into her carrier cage.

If she wasn’t dependent on the Xanax to control her condition, I would not even be taking her in on an annual basis. I am waiting to hear back from another vet clinic that I called 2 days ago who has excellent reviews online. Time is of the essence here so I need to find a good clinic soon and one that will not make me vaccinate my unwell cat.

Thank you for advising on getting her medical records. I only have copies of her annual blood work.