View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecker View Post
Really... So small dogs get a free pass when they are aggressive?? Just turn the table for a second. If the DDB was getting aggressive with the yorky - what do you think the owner of the DDB would do? (that's right - put the dog on a leash and leave the park) It's ridiculous actually. The owner of the little dog clearly stated that it's doesn't like big dogs right? Should he be going to a dog park knowing this?

I'm trying to be realistic here, and it's not fair to the DDB and it's owner.
Becker, from the incident that the OP is describing, I don't believe the Yorkie was at all being fearful but rather displaying dominance towards the DDB, and again dominance is completley different than aggression or fear aggression. In fact, there are so many types of behaviors that look like aggression, but are not. And if innterupted at the wrong time by the owner, can actually enable aggressive behavior in their dog.

Dominance (as I believe what had happened in this case) NEEDS to happen among dogs because it helps them all learn how to socialize properly.

Quote:
The owner of the little dog clearly stated that it's doesn't like big dogs right? Should he be going to a dog park knowing this?
No, I believe the OP told us that the Yorkie Owner said her dog was scared of big dogs, so YES - I do believe that IF this was the case and the Yorkie was afraid of the DDB, they should continue socializing their dog with bigger breeds. However this is such a rare occurance because dogs do not see one another for size the way we view them. It's all about body language and behavior to them - size does not matter to dogs; which is another reason I'm extremley doubtful the Yorkie was afraid.

With that said, it's hard to say what should've happened without having been there to judge it in person, or if anyone should've left at all.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; July 28th, 2009 at 02:48 PM.