View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, thanks for all the great advice and links everyone. I really appreciate it. We want to make the right choice for our new addition, but there are SO many deserving cats out there, its making this hard.

TG, I have been looking at Meow, yes. I love how they are very specific about the personality of each cat and the background - if they know it. Thats one thing the SPCA is lacking. I'm on the fence as to adopt from the SPCA or Meow simply because, like you said, Meow is a no-kill rescue whereas the SPCA is not. It's hard to decide!

LMPG, No I hadn't ever heard of that rescue - I'll google them tonight! We're hoping to have made our choice by the weekend so I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
I personally would be very hesitant to get a declawed cat in your situation. Even if none of your other pets intend any harm, the new kitty doesn't know that and might feel very vulnerable. You could end up with a constantly anxious cat and all of the corresponding behaviour problems (inappropriate elimination, aggressiveness, hiding, etc). If you were able to adopt a cat from a foster home where s/he was already living with dogs and was comfortable in that environment, that would preferable. Either that or a cat with claws.

Do you have a tall cat condo or somewhere that the new kitty can escape to up high? Even with careful introductions, there may come a time when the cat just wants to observe the peons below without being bothered by them. I would also ensure that your dogs don't "go after" the cat, even if it's only to play. Keep them on a leash in the cat's presence until the cat is confident and comfortable, and the dogs aren't so interested in checking him/her out.
Thanks for your thoughts on this! I tend to agree...a declawed cat might be at a loss in our home, at least initially and even that is enough to make me feel bad about that.
I actually don't really think I have anywhere high that the cat can get too - Moo generally wanders around on the floor or the back of the couches if she feels like getting away from the dogs. That's an excellent suggestion though - I'm sure Moo would appreciate it, as would the newcomer!

Thanks everyone, muchly appreciated!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)