View Single Post
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
If only it were that simple! But even if you were able to stop the lactulose and cisapride by simply feeding this, you might very well end up swapping those for other meds, like insulin or prednisone.

That's what I was thinking SCM...to date with the exception of his current condition Herbie has never been sick.

This food has some pretty horrific ingredients, as I'm sure you know. I'd love to know how any vet thinks feeding it can possibly be good for any cat.

He is of the belief that kibble helps clean cats teeth

If extra fibre is needed, that can easily be added to a better quality wet food. There simply is no justification for resorting to a moisture-depleted, high carb, low-quality (and expensive!) kibble.

As I've already said I do add psyllium husk to his food with plenty of water, Herbie's food looks more like soup but he seems to like it well enough

Methyl-B can be helpful in cases where nerve function in the bowels has diminished, which may be an aspect of megacolon.

Do you think it is worth trying and if so what dose should be administered?

Injectable Methyl-B may be preferred in older cats or those with digestive issues because it may not be as readily absorbed via the intestines.
Herbie will be 16 in March, he very rarely vomits....would that not be a sign of digestive issues?

I don't expect to get through the winter without a visit to the Vet's...we haven't in the last 6 years , but maybe by trying the B12 ...what do you think?

Thanks for the links SCM

Last edited by Chris21711; December 8th, 2010 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Sometimes I'm not too swift....sigh