View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:08 PM

Question

The excessive cat shedding post is my problem with my cat as well. I call my cat Garfina, the female Garfield. She is very inactive for a 4 year old cat. She basically eats, sleeps, peers out the window and doors. I adopted her a year ago from a shelter as people gave her up due to allergies. I can see why now. Lilly sheds all the time. I have had many cats and none that sheds like this one. She is a very good cat. She doesn't cause problems, very sweet. She purrs a lot when I pet her or when she comes to me for attention. Not a lap cat but likes to sit next to me and sleeps at the foot of bed. She used to play with her toys but now only wants to play with them when I play with her. She may have been taken from her mother or lost her mother too soon as I sense a need for her to feel very secure. Back to the shedding: She doesn't groom herself much at all just her face, paws and privates. Since she has so much fur constantly falling off, I don't blame her for not wanting to lick her belly or back. The few times she has tried she spits the hair out and stops grooming. I brush her at least 2-3 times a week with a de-shed brush. I am amazed as to how fast she grows hair. I have taken her to vet and all is well healthwise, I had a blood panel done to check for thyroid or diabetes and all the blood work is fine. I had her groomed twice in last year since I own her. The grooming baths help little as she grows hair back in at a faster rate. I put an old sheet on my bed to keep the fur off my comforter. In two days it is full of hair, I vacuum it off. I will try the Innova cat food since one post said it really helped other than that I am at a loss what to do.

Last edited by garfinas mom; April 15th, 2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: misspelling/grammar.