Thread: Dog Jealousy?
View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Agility Addict

From your description, it doesn't sound too serious but like others have said, its impossible to know unless you've witnessed...So a behaviorist or an excellent trainer should probably be consulted.

I do think that before adding any other animals, you want to make sure you've trained Petey 100% the way you want him... Being trained no matter what the distraction is necessary when you have 2+ dogs - especially with Petey's jealousy (I just dog-sat an unruly dog for 8 nights and 9 days - Dodger being trained was the only thing that saved my sanity. Through Dodger I had some "control" overl the second dog or I could deal with the untrained dog first while Dodger was in a stay etc...)
You mention that Petey will still harass the cat and although he says he does "listen" to leave it, it sounds like the cat is always bothered enough to leave. Before bringing another pet in, I'd want to make sure that at the very least, I could call Petey off and have him COMPLETELY ignore the cat.
If there are any little issues that Petey has or that you haven't fully dealt with - do it before you get another dog.

Perhaps, a way to stop/handle the "jealousy" is by getting Petey involved in a dog sport... It could be his special time with you (away from other dogs) and it would also mean a higher level of training so you would be more equipped to handle his "jealousy" and he should be more responsive.