View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:15 PM

RE: Cat tail cut just before i leave for holidays, need advices

Hello everyone,

One on my 2 indoor cats is 8 years old, with a tail which he can still move at 85% of its capacity, this following an accident while i was away last august (it seems like he broke his tail somewhere in my flat, we'll never know what happened exactly. The cat sitter found him unable to walk, and his tail seems broken. He took a month and medecine to fully recover, but the tail is not fully back).

This to say, just as i am about to leave for 2 weeks, my cat arrived with a bleeding cut at the end of his tail, like if a sharp scissor would have cut it.

The vet checked his tail, and its seems like the cat can move it, but he does not feel any pain on it... The decision was to remove the last 2 inches of his tail since it was open to the bone.

We got him back home yesterday, and i am leaving next wednesday for 2 weeks, but i am deadly afraid about how to leave him since i cant have someone watch over him all the time. The cat sitter will come every 2 days to check on them.

He now has a bandage at his tail and doesnt seem to care about it at all (he is not munching or even looking at it). He's in shape, running and playing around as normal. He is not taking any medecine (he's got an injection of antibiotics at the vet).

The vet has given me a 'plastic necklace' to put on him so that he does not touch his tail once i remove the bandage on monday, but i cant imagine leaving him alone with this plastic thing on - it seems to cause more arm and stress to him.

Can i leave him with a bandage on his tail for 2 weeks with someone checking daily? It's breaking my heart and this situation leaves me stressed out...

Thanks in advance for your help!

emcee
(sorry about the double post, my first entry got erased)