Thread: Old cat diet
View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb View Post
My cat is 19, she is very tiny. Only in the last year has she shown her age a little, she is quite healthy.
Welcome to pets.ca! 19, wow, that's fabulous.

Quote:
She began to get very skinny last winter,
Has she been for a check-up at the vets recently? Once cats are in their golden years, it's a good idea to take them twice a year for blood work and urinalysis, to catch any illnesses before they become too serious.

Quote:
so i started feeding her wet food (all her life prior to this she ate can food maybe twice a year). When i give her dry food now, she will throw it up 50% of the time.
Ditch the dry. It's actually not good for any cat, but especially older cats that need all the protein and moisture they can get. Look for something with little to no grains, no by-products, and minimal fish. What foods are you feeding her now? Here is a good link for you to check out on the subject of feline nutrition: www.catinfo.org

Quote:
Also- what do you think about powder vitamin supplements that you put in their food?
Depends on what supplement you're referring to. Some are good, some aren't. At your cat's age, I'd recommend finding some NuCat Senior vitamins by Vetri-Science. Some vet clinics sell them, or you can order them online.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler