Thread: cat food
View Single Post
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
chronically insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trese52 View Post
what is the problem with friskies? My cats love the dry dental diet and I do feed them the wet food.
The ingredients... just take a peek at them =x

Quote:
Ground yellow corn, poultry by-product meal, corn gluten meal, digest of chicken products, cellulose, animal fat (preserved with BHA), fish meal, natural and artificial flavors, glycerin, calcium carbonate, tricalcium phosphate, potassium chloride, brewers dried yeast, soybean meal, phosphoric acid, salt, titanium dioxide color, choline chloride, taurine, zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, potassium sorbate & ethoxyquin (preservatives), Vitamin E supplement, copper sulfate, niacin, Vitamin A acetate, manganese sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), calcium pantothenate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), potassium iodide, folic acid, sodium selenite, biotin. A-5004
What sounds good about that? =x Artificial flavours, BHA (labeled by the government as an expected human carcinogenic).. Soy... Corn! By products and digest? Ew, you don't even want to know what that stuff is made of. Ethoxyquin is banned in several countries because of it's carcinogenic properties and all respectable pet food companies have stopped using it. Potassium Sorbate is used to preserve things like soda and isn't that great for you. Fish meal is mostly the kind of fish that are rejected from the human food like. It could be any kind mof fish too.

I don't know much about the vitamins though...

Cats eat meat... not corn dyed funny colors with cancer causing chemicals used to preserve it.

I live with my mom still and she used to buy the food for all our cats.. and we were going threw upwards of probably 5 to 10 pounds of food per week when I had only 5 or 6 cats at the time. We'd constantly be buying food. We had to clean the litter box so many times a day and it always stunk. Back last November-ish I slowly started to switch them over to better stuff. Now with feeding 6 inside cats full time, 5 foster kittens and my 2 cats outside stop by for food... we go threw about 4-5 lbs of dry food a week, and about 4lbs of wet food a week to feed them all.

I'm switching my stray and feral cats over to better quality food as well because I can't have them eating all those preservatives. I'm going to be the one taking them to the vets if they ever get sick and that would cost me a fortune.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009