View Single Post
Old November 20th, 2016, 12:36 PM

Here's the thing with neuter and spay.

Male dogs, like male humans, need testosterone in their systems or the endocrine system can be thrown off balance - it's a dance of hormones. Once the testes are removed, the only other organ left in the body that is capable of producing small amounts of testosterone are the adrenal glands. No testosterone production in the testes can equate to putting the adrenal glands on overload. Same can be said for females and estrogen production.

Early neuter especially can screw up a pup (prior to puberty), dealt with that first hand. They typically grow larger as they go through puberty abnormally, bone plates are slower to close etc. Early neuter can lead to hypothyroid conditions - primary and secondary. Primary being lack of production of thyroxine, secondary being the body can't use it. And a hypo condition can actually create aggression issues that neuter is supposed to take care of.

Catch 22 isn't it? Read up on Jean Dodd's work on the canine endocrine system. I still have Bob Barker burned in my brain. I will never desex another animal unless it's medically necessary.