View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2015, 03:13 AM

Probiotics and canned tripe

We put the minpin on a permanent raw diet, beef in the morning, chicken with chicken bone meal (liver, gizzard, heart etc) in the evening and so far it seems to be going very well. He's always been fed raw meats as a treat, and was always fed different kibbles (when he was on kibble) so switching to raw has been a breeze.

Finding fresh raw tripe isn't easy, still trying to source some out. Bought some Tripett Original Green Beef Tripe in a can a few days ago to try out and I give him a bit with every meal. The stuff stinks but he loves it, eats the tripe before anything else. His bowel movements seem to be fine, but i'm wondering if we should be looking at some other probiotic to help along digestion? Or is there enough in tripe and his regular meals?

Is Trippet a good product? It contains carrageenan gum which i'm not sure on, mixed reviews online.

Found out the hard way that cooked turkey with skin isn't great for dogs. Gave him the remnants of a couple of cooked turkey drumsticks with skin on over christmas, didn't go over very well. Heavy shakes and panting the next morning caused a trip to the vet, thought he might have had some pancreatitis. He's fine now but it turned out to be an expensive treat. They did a full blood panel on him - good timing to get it done - all came back clear. He didn't poop for 2 days, vet gave him the finger up the bum - that went over really well, should hear this dog squawk - couple of bouts of the worst smelling diarrhea ever, and after that and he was good.

This turkey was fatty, tried to make soup out of it, forget it. From now on we investigate everything before feeding. I think he has issue with turkey, was giving pieces of turkey neck for bone meal, caused some of the same issue on a minor scale. Turkey is off the menu altogether now. Little bugger eats better than us.