View Single Post
Old February 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If the dog is "chunky" enough that she is visibly pregnant, the puppies may be fairly developed. I was under the impression that the farther along the puppies/kittens are, the more dangerous a spay operation becomes. In that case, I could understand your friend not wanting to take the risk of losing the mother.
If the dog is chunky it could be worms. The only way to really find out if she is and how far along would be an x-ray.

If the dog is far along in pregnancy...the pups would have to be euthanized during the surgery. I have seen this and it is very very sad. Alot of vets do not like to do this.
It is a very upsetting topic on so many levels. Again - this is someone's fault that the dog is now in this circumstance. I have to wonder however that if this dog were a yorkie or a poodle - would we still want the pregnancy terminated? Being that she may be pitbull, (though not confirmed) it puts a different spin on this. 1 - a damned type of dog, 2 - puppies will also fall under a scrutinized breed type. So sad isn't it.