View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Red face Vegan dog food...

I think that vegans are very aware of their body chemistry and nutrition, and as such, I think it becomes a dilemma if a person gets a dog and wants to respect the dog's body as much as they do their own, because IMO, that would lead them to a raw diet (as in raw meat). Right?

And I know there are a couple of veggies here who feed raw because they feel that that is the best thing for their dogs.

But what of the vegans who just directly jump to vegan dog food? How can vegan dog food sustain a dog? I mean, sure if the dog has allergies to animal proteins, that's one thing, but with no allergies, IMO, a dog has no biological reason to do well on a vegan diet.

And then you get the same arguments that you do with ol' roy- where the owner "thinks" their dog's coat is shiny and the dog is healthy, when really they just don't know how the dog could really be, given the proper nutrition.

Sure vegan diets are balanced- before going into the dog. If the dog doesn't digest or absorb most of it, that "balance" is out the window.

I just think that a vegan feeding vegan is like a dog eating raw meat and expecting its owner to as well.

Any thoughts?