View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:42 AM

Question specialty trainer in Toronto, ON??

I have a 10 month old puppy who seems to be a bit hard-headed and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a trainer?

I got him from Toronto Animal Services when he was 6 months and they told me he was a pure rottweiler..as he grew, I could see he clearly is not. He is tall and sleek/thin, so I'm thinking he may be rottweiler doberman? Or something similar..

Right from the first day of bringing him home, I started the crate training. Within a couple days, he was sleeping in there comfortably and barked minimally when I left the house and left him in there alone. Within the first 2 weeks of having him, I enrolled in a 6 week training course so he is good with sit/stay/down/heel etc

So what's the problem, right? lol

Well recently, he has been showing more and more signs of separation anxiety. He tries to escape from the crate (a couple times he succeeded and proceeded to empty my bedroom closet (although nothing was destroyed)) and barks and whines immediately after I leave for about 10-15 mins....

When I originally got him, it was a joint decision with my boyfriend. We were living together, we picked him out together and he has been *our* dog...recently, we broke up and he has since moved out. Can this affect the separation anxiety issue?

Also, I've been trying to train him to stay out of the kitchen because as he grows taller and taller, its really easy for him to jump up and clear the counters with one movement....its been 6 weeks since i decided he can't go in there and he just isn't getting the message

If anyone has any thoughts as to why separation anxiety would appear so suddenly, or suggestions as to how to keep him out of the kitchen, or - better yet - a good trainer to contact, I would really appreciate it!