View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM

I started searching the web a little more based on the stud tail info and came up with "hot spots", which also describes my dogs behaviours and is very similar to the stud tail. So, Cooper and I just had a 60 minute argument about whether or not his tail area was going to be shaved. We finally agreed I could use the scissors (the vibration from the razor was probably irritating) and now I can at least see his sore better. I also decided since it was called a "hot spot", putting some ice on it to cool it down might be an idea for him. Sure enough, he was skeptical at first.... but once I put the icecube on the area, he relaxed his tail and put his head down. I stopped when he got fidgety again but that is how I was able to cut the hairs so close with the scissors without a wrestling match. Although I can't see any signs of fleas... we are in a very sandy area and it is time for the wretched little critters to seek a warmer climate - my dog and the house! And was listed as a Hot Spot cause. So he will get a nice bath when I have more hands tonight to help me keep him in there! LOL (By the way, the BEST flea bath you can ever put your dog in is simple and cheap. White vinegar (approx. 3 or 4 cups in the bath tub or 1 cup in the sink) and Dawn Dish soap. Fill the tub or sink FIRST before putting the dog in and have it go up their necks as high as you can without drowning your beloved animal. This ensures the fleas are taken by surprise and don't have a chance to run. Bigger dogs - like Cooper - have to be convinced to lay down quickly. Rough up the hair and watch them all float to the top!).

I have also called a few friends to see which vets they use since the one we had retired 15 months ago.... and they all laughed and said good luck. They feel the same as me. I am in a remote area without much choice. I think I will see how the bath, oregano oil (internal) and Walnut oil (for antifungal external) and C. Silver do for tomorrow. If there is no sign of improvement, I think it will be a 2 hour drive into Toronto to see if I have better luck there with a vet. Wish someone could refer me to a good one right off though.

Cooper is laying quietly now after another icing to his tail. Again, thank you for your quick replies. Maybe someone has had experience with Hot spots?