View Single Post
Old October 14th, 2010, 10:36 AM

Dog biting/chewing his tail

I am new to this board and hope I am posting in the correct place.

I have a 2 year old Shepherd who just started to very aggressively bite his tail. When I even try to look at it, he will try to nip at me (keeping in mind, when this dog was run over by a car - my friend driving in the driveway - the vets didn't even have to sedate him for the x-rays. I know, for this reason alone, he is very frustrated and in pain with it.

I have raw fed since he was 5 weeks old, so it is not a change in food, no chemical or preservative reactions. It starts from the base of his tail and goes down about 6". He has removed all the hair and it is red and raw. Just the skin/slight bleeding. I put a collar/cone on him and he destroyed it trying to bite his tail and succeeded in making the wound longer. A friend told me about another type of collar that sits between his chin and his chest, but I have been unable to locate one at any of our vets... or pet stores.

I have given him 10 drops of Oregano oil this morning along with some Kefir but he is very aggitated and restless, breathing hard and in distress. I don't mind taking him to the vet if it is something they can help with, but more often than not (in our area) it is all a guessing game with them and after 5 visits they might come up with an answer. (perhaps I need to move??) Thought I would try here. What are people using for pain killers for their dogs. I have been told to give my dog Tylenal by a vet in the past, but read constantly it is not good for dogs. Now I'm frustrated.... any thoughts?

thanks for reading. Lorrie