View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:01 PM
Hopelessly devoted 2 dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsmom View Post
I have a new 7 week old maltipoo puppy that I have had since she was 4 weeks old....I know its too early but mom was really tired of feeding and wouldnt lay still long enough to nurse. Bella has gotten to where she is now biting and growling not to mention showing teeth...this is while being held...she will attempt to nip at you and your clothes. I realize she is playing during that time but the teeth showing and growling/biting nees to stop!!! So Im going to start the no talk and put up....my only prob there is Ive always read that you dont want to associate their crate (yes she is crate trained) with punishment but only a safe place...so whats what? I need a little help...what Ive read here makes me feel better...I have done the yelping and it seems to work some but when she starts the wiggling and turning her head to bite while showing teeth is too late by then....
You just need patience, LOTS of it.
Crates ARE their safe place; according to our vets it goes back to before dogs were domesticated and stayed in caves, so you are right to not use for punishment.
Each and every time she does something you don't like, just turn your back to her and ignore her, don't talk, just ignore. Eventually she will make the connection that you don't like it. It is normal for her to want your attention - all the time, so you need to be the pack leader and establish rules.
The biting is "teething" for puppies, I used tiny ice chips for mine as it soothes and numbs the gums - it does work and make sure she has some toys like "Kongs" to chew on.
Hang in there!