View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2014, 01:50 PM

I agree with getting a second opinion if you question your vet's diagnosis. However, having said that, I feel you need to realize that animals are very adept at hiding their pain. It is their survival instinct to hide any defect especially injury or pain. If your dogs gums are inflamed and teeth are rotten, trust me, it's excruciating for them. I'm sure you don't want your beloved pups golden years to be painful. I have an eight year old rescued Papillon that was used in a puppymill. She was very low on the scale of body condition from overbreeding and lack of any vet care. We had to have all her teeth removed and within 24 hrs of her surgery she was full of energy and ready for anything to eat! I know your dog is a senior however senior dogs can tolerate surgery quite fine. My 11.5 large breed dog who was considered a senior tolerated a surgery very well. We had him for a further 5 months post surgery. Please do get a second or even third opinion but do seriously consider the pain your dog is in.