View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:05 PM

Hi MaxiLisa. Great to hear from you again and I am genuinely happy to hear that your dog is going well - you must be thrilled.
Yes, you are correct in saying that I had posted on a thread a couple of days ago that I have been to an integrative vet and one of her suggestion was to give my dog an unprocessed novel protein raw elimination diet.
I did as suggested, so full of hope. I transitioned as directed, fed as directed and thought I was finally on the right track. But my little dog became so sick after a couple of days She vomited excessively and had some very soft stinky bowel movements. I spent an entire night syringing fluids into her every 30 minutes to prevent dehydration.
At this point I feel defeated and worn down. I don't know what to do for the best. Vets advice is to resume her old diet for a number of days and then try raw again - but I'm not sure I can do that. She has never reacted well to raw food - this was my third attempt in approx. 4 years. The last time she ended up being hospitalized as she became dehydrated and had mild pancreatitis. I vowed then never to try again, but I did as I was advised to do.
She is recovering slowly - not her usual self and the tremors she has in her legs have become worse over last two days. She lay down to rest on her walk today - she has never ever done that before.
I don't know what to do or where to turn. I feel like both vets she has been seen by just throw out suggestions and my dog suffers as a result but we never get to the root of her issues.
I'm sorry if all this sounds negative and that I have given up. I will never ever give up on trying to do my best for her - but I just don't know what the best is or how to find it.