View Single Post
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:08 AM

My cat attacked me!

Baylee is a 3 year old calico and the sweetest cat you will ever meet. She is very gentle with our puppy and pretty much lets him play with her as long as he wants – when she’s had enough she just walks away. We clip her nails and she doesn’t mind one bit, she just sits there and sometimes falls asleep. She doesn’t mind the vet; she just sits on the counter purring during her examination. So you can see she is pretty calm (most of the time).

When she was a kitten she was crazy though. She would attack my arm by wrapping all her legs around it and bite as hard as she could! We tried everything to stop this behavior (spraying her with water, shaking a can of pennies, etc) and it seemed to work. For a little over a year now she hasn’t tried to bite me and she never uses her claws, so I thought her aggressive behavior was just kitten stuff.

Then, yesterday she was lying on her back and I was petting her belly when I noticed a little cut on her lip. I wanted to see what it was so I held her down and tried to examine her lip. She tried to resist a little but not too much. After I took a look at it, I released her and sat back down on the couch. Then she pounced at me and sunk her teeth as hard as she could into my arm! I screamed and it scared her a little and she let go, but then she bit again! Harder! My arm was bleeding and so I tried to get up and she had a crazy look in her eyes! She wanted to come after me again! I didn’t know what to do and so I took the blanket off the couch and threw it over her and carried her in the bathroom and locked her in. I left her there for about 20 minutes and when she came out she was normal again.

My husband and I are planning on having kids soon and I am so scared that she will do this to a baby!
When she was biting me I had to pry her off my arm, if she was biting a kid they would have never gotten her off - and that really scares me.
My arm is now swollen and I have 6 teeth punctures on my arm.

Why would she do this? What can I do to make sure it doesn’t happen again?
I think I am going to take her to the vet and see what they say, but any advice anyone has for me would be very much appreciated.
I adore my cat and the thought of having to find another home for her when we have kids devastates me, but this is what everyone is telling me.
Has anyone had this happen?