View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2016, 02:15 AM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Just to back up Barkingdog's statement of countries where declawing is illegal, including Austria, Croatia, Malta, Israel, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Switzerland, and Turkey.

After reading this person's article, I understand where they are coming from, but they are not well informed about the subject. They need to do one humungous pile of research and reading. Even local news broadcasts have carried news articles about vets who have opted out of this practice because it is inhumane and puts cats at a grave disadvantage to protect themselves. In one specific case - one vet in Espanola in the last 3 years - has refused to declaw them. Cats use their claws to stretch their bodies and align their spines and bones - it's their chiropractic exercise.

Humans need to provide the proper scratching apparatus for them so they don't do furniture, etc.

It would sure be nice to see some of the countries on this side of the pond - North and South America - ban it as well.
In Mexico is almost unheard of but noy illegal. Barely performed though. It should be illegal.
I remember when Boba destroyed almost every new chair I got in a new dinning room set. I tried the soft paws but if you're not on top of them they'll find a way to get them off.
Now I avoid upholstery and always have scratching posts.
The error is ALWAYS human. We lack of effort, time, will, whatever. It's never the animal's fault. It never even crossed my mind to declaw him. I rather lose the chairs than that if we're going to extremes.